My top 7 simple and effective detox strategies:
If you’re not already doing these, try adding in one or two and start making them part of your day:
- Reduce toxins in the home. For example, take a close look at the cosmetics and cleaning products you’re using. Do you need to be using as many as you are? What are the ingredients? There are many good brands and local brands available now. I generally use Castille Soaps, doTerra, Weleda or Eva Perez makeup.
- Add in a green smoothie to your day! First thing in the morning if it’s spring/summer or later in the day if it’s winter/autumn. Dark leafy greens, e.g. spinach, rocket and dandelion greens that are bitter, help give us energy and can stimulate the flow of bile in the gall bladder, supporting liver health. FYI: This is a good recipe to start with here.
- Add in more healthy fats and mineral rich foods, e.g. seaweeds, bone stock and organ meat.
- Add in herbs and spices that stimulate bile production and support liver health, such as dandelion root and milk thistle. Take in the form of a tea or as a powder and add it into your smoothie.
- Breathe. Diaphragmatic breathing (breathing from our bellies) instantly initiates our rest and digest response, i.e. the parasympathetic nervous system. Rather than breathing from the chest, which initiates the fight or flight response, i.e. the sympathetic nervous system. A quietened nervous system, i.e. the parasympathetic nervous state is fundamental for our bodies to detox efficiently.
- Sleep. Sleep is the body’s chance to repair and restore. Getting enough of it is fundamental to our wellbeing.
- Gentle movement. Walking, yoga, something that creates movement in our body’s systems, yet doesn’t place too much stress on our body at the same time.
When I look after myself, I’m a happier person and every area of my life improves. And importantly for me, I’m a better role model to my children.
After working as an executive in professional services, Kate Barnes started her global business as a Certified Holistic Health Coach. She has a Bachelor of Science and a Post Graduate Diploma in Business. Kate runs an online program, ‘Our Happy Children‘, a leading education program for deeply nourishing families and building strong immunity, great energy and preventing illness. For more information visit Kate’s website, like her Facebook page for loads of daily inspiration, healthy tips and more recipes and follow her on Instagram: @kate_barnes_health_coaching.