By Sofia Potente
Did you know constipation affects 1 in 3 adults? Emptying our bowels daily is critically important for our physical and mental health. When our bowels are sluggish, we’re unable to eliminate wastes which can result in low energy, brain fog, weight gain, skin problems and more serious health consequences if left untreated.
If constipation is an issue for you, the good news is it is totally possible to get the bowels moving again, without relying on harsh laxatives or dreading food.
Here are 7 safe natural home remedies to ease constipation.
1. Warm water with lemon or apple cider vinegar in the mornings to kickstart elimination and digestion.
2. Liquid breakfast – start the day with a low sugar, dairy-free smoothie to hydrate the bowels and for easier digestion and elimination – get in contact for recipes!
3. Move your body – walking is fantastic to get bowels moving and stimulate intestinal movement.
4. Digestive enzymes to help break down foods, including proteins, carbohydrates and fats, and to absorb nutrients.
5. Soluble and insoluble fibre (gluten free) – with clients, I recommend a naturopathic blend which includes both, as well as soothing slippery elm, marshmallow, ginger and probiotics as an all-in-one.