At Go Native New Zealand, we’re all about knowing exactly what’s going onto your skin and this is never more important than when you’re dealing with the newest, most delicate baby skin!
We’re also big fans of saving you money. With all the different products on the market, it can be extremely overwhelming to know what’s best and it can be easy to assume the more expensive, the better the product. That’s not necessarily the case, more often than not you’re paying for beautiful packaging and huge production line overheads. So by offering you nothing but the raw ingredients and know-how we want to empower you to create beautiful products from scratch for a fraction of the cost.
Here we’ve put together a collection of some beautiful recipes using the best ingredients that you can whip up yourself very quickly and easily, gentle enough to be used on baby and the whole family.
Lavender & chamomile nappy balm
Balms are one of the easiest things to make, it just requires melting a solid wax and/or butter with liquid carrier oil/s.
Here’s a recipe for a gentle balm with relaxing chamomile and lavender essential oils. You can make this without any essential oils and it is still a gentle and nourishing balm on its own. This recipe makes 100g of lavender and chamomile nappy balm.
- 40g NZ hazelnut oil
- 20g shea butter, certified organic, unrefined, fair trade
- 20g calendula infused oil, certified organic
- 10g coconut oil, certified, organic, virgin
- 10g NZ beeswax, certified organic
- A few drops lavender and Roman chamomile essential oils
- Melt everything (except the essential oils) together gently in a pot.
- Take off the heat and add the essential oils. Stir.
- Pour into a container and leave to set.
Note: Always add essential oils once balm is off the heat as essential oils can reach their flashpoint if heated. At their flashpoint, the oils will flash flame so please don’t heat them.
Chest and nasal relief balm
A natural remedy for the whole family to ease chest and nasal congestion this winter. To use simply rub on chest and under the nose and breathe deep.
This recipe makes 100g of chest and nasal relief balm.
- 55g olive oil
- 15g NZ beeswax, certified organic
- 10g menthol crystals, certified organic
- 11g camphor essential oil
- 8g eucalyptus blue gum essential oil
- Gently heat the olive oil and beeswax until the beeswax is melted.
- Take off the heat.
- Add the menthol crystals and stir until dissolved.
- Add the camphor and eucalyptus essential oils and stir until blended.
- Pour into container/s.
Note: Always add essential oils once balm is off the heat as essential oils can reach their flashpoint if heated. The essential oils and menthol crystals used here are particularly volatile so please do not heat them.