New Zealand: Steel-cut Oat Porridge | Vegetarian, Gluten-free
- 175g (6.2oz) steel-cut oats (gluten-free if required)
- 250ml water
- 500ml full cream milk*
- 2 thick strips of lemon peel
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of mixed spice
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced to release 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
To serve – any:
- maple syrup, honey or cinnamon sugar,
- a dollop of thick farm-style cream,
- caramelized nuts, seasonal poached fruits or apple and cinnamon compote, fresh berries or sliced banana
- *Or replace half of the milk with evaporated milk for an ultra-luxurious creamy bowl of comfort food.
Place all of the ingredients into a heavy-based saucepan. Stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 – 35 minutes, until the oats have softened and the liquid has thickened. Remove the lemon peel, cinnamon stick and vanilla pod, if using, before serving. Serve hot with some of the suggested toppings.