Yin and Yang: How do you balance work and family?
Our family calendar has everyone’s events, commitments, work, etc, on it. I try to have everything up there as early as possible, even sometimes six months ahead. This allows me to schedule my work availability well in advance and be there for my kids’ school events and plan family trips away. I also have a maximum number of photography sessions I take on a week which helps maintain that balance.
The drive: What challenges have you overcome?
Creative slumps, particularly in the winter months when it is wet, are something that I have struggled with. Whenever I start to get that feeling, I will do a model call, plan something unique, and shoot a creative session which helps a lot.
For better or worse: What are the pros and cons of running your own business?
- Loving what I do so much; I feel so grateful to do it for a living.
- Creative freedom.
- The flexibility to work from home or away.
- The freedom of being able to choose and plan my work schedule.
- Building something from the ground up.
- I am able to do work that I find truly rewarding.
- At times, fulfilling many roles.
- A lot of late nights working, especially in the beginning.
- Difficult to take time off at short notice as business responsibilities still tick along.
Hopes and dreams: What next?
Opening a studio from our home in South New Brighton will be happening in the future and is something I am really excited about. I absolutely love the idea of having an indoor space and then the beach just a stone’s throw away for photo sessions. I’m also currently working on some beautiful and bespoke products that will be added to my packages.