Paul and Paulie is a family-run New Zealand business, focused on delivering quality garments to babies, young children and mums. They take huge pride and delight in what they do, with founder Rachel Emmanuel passionately sketching all designs from scratch, carefully researching what mums and babies desire in clothing and then recreating those requests with care. It is this joy for designing and creating, along with a quest for quality, that led Rachel to launch Paul and Paulie. Using ethical, responsible, and sustainable practices, and inspired by the beauty of New Zealand, their garments are created with attention to detail and made from100% organic Indian cotton. The team is committed to doing it right for your precious little ones, the planet, and the future.
The passion: What inspired you to set up your business?
As a child, I adored wearing dresses made with love by my mom. I then found great joy in designing and creating clothing for my friends and family, and it is this quest for quality that led to the start of Paul and Paulie, providing organic cotton garments for babies and children, inspired by the beauty of New Zealand.
The launch: How did you start out in the beginning?
With the enormous dream of having a values-based and family-owned New Zealand business, we boldly launched in October 2020. The objective being to deliver premium, comfortable, and hypoallergenic organic cotton garments to babies, toddlers, and mums, suited for New Zealand weather and lifestyle: Good cotton for great kids as our tag lines goes!
Paul and Paulie are two imaginary children – bold, adventurous, and kind – who love to explore the world around them and make it a better place! Kids and parents loved our unique, New Zealand-inspired, comfy and certified organic cotton garments like our Simply Natural Singlet Bodysuit, Mustard Kiwi Fleece Jumper, Tuatara Fleece Jumper, and Pohutukawa Dress.
The innovation: What was the biggest breakthrough for you with your business?
We have had many breakthroughs, including:
- Our original prints and patterns tried, tested and loved by our customers at local markets, expos, and online.
- Being proudly New Zealand owned and registered.
- Sourcing super soft and hypoallergenic GOTS certified organic cotton that is grown without fertilisers and pesticides, and without using toxic dyes and chemicals.
- Partnering with our supplier who complies with stringent global garment manufacturing standards.
- Being GOTS, Oeko-Tex and SA-8000 certified for ethical, sustainable, and pollution-free garment production.
- Giving back to our wider community through our chosen local charities.
Yin and Yang: How do you balance work and family?
Being an ex-teacher, I have found planning time and energy, faith, fun, and having time for family, friends, and community, are vital for one’s wellbeing. A good cup of coffee shared with a friend, a long walk in the wild, painting, and creating new concepts, are my battery chargers!